Family Recipe Analysis
Please follow these steps to complete the Family Recipe Analysis assignment:
- Select a recipe that is associated with a particular culture, ethnic, nation, or other type of region. The best candidate is one of your favorite family recipes that have been passed down through the generations.
- Write the individual ingredients for the recipe in detail (as if from scratch). If you don’t have a copy of the recipe you will need to interview a person that does by phone or e-mail.
- Research on the Internet where the ingredients were originally domesticated. If there are certain ingredients that have not been domesticated, find their natural habitat (shrimp, cranberries, etc.). Research the domestication of animals (cows, chickens, etc.).
- Create a map showing the diffusion of the ingredients into your recipe region. Find a blank world map on the Internet. Indicate origin and diffusion of your ingredients on the map. Take a picture of your completed map (or scan it), and include it in your paper.
- Write at least 500 words analysis of your research, including how your region’s food has been influenced by diffusion/ migration (the Old Silk Road or Columbian Exchange). Discuss the climate and land use of the region where your ethnic dish is from.